Skip to main content

Triple Threat

 People think we are raising twins, but they're wrong.  We actually have triplets: Emerson, Carter, and Carterror.  It's true.  Carterror doesn't hang around often, but when the days are long and naps have been missed, she comes out swinging.  

Today, when we should have been napping, we ran errands.  We needed some grain for our cows, so before picking up the boys from school, we stopped at the feed store.  The girls spent a little time looking at all the fish, birds, and pets they have for sale.  Immediately, after telling them not to touch the tanks, Carter tried to go fishing.  That's when I realized Carterror had arrived.  I called her name to stop her and realized her shirt was exceptionally lumpy.  

"What's in there?" I asked, pointing to her newly developed bosom.  

"My kitty," she replied, pulling out a stuffed cat from her sweatshirt.  A minute later, we were walking down an isle of bovine paraphernalia and she darted around a corner.  When I called her, she came sauntering back, and I noticed she had developed elephantitis in her right leg.  

“What's in there?” I asked, pointing to her giant thigh.  

"My soft jacket," she stated nonchalantly.  

"Take that out of  your pants," I said a little too loudly.

"No."

"Carter, take that out," I hissed, helping her pull her favorite sweater out of her pant leg.  

The boys think it's hilarious when Carter is overtired because she has zero filter and no fear of consequences.   Getting ready to head home from our friend's farm this evening, I told her to get in her car seat while I buckled in her sister.  She got in, but I looked away, and she got out.  I looked back up and she got in.  This went on several times while I was too far away to reach her, and all the while she chanted, "Now, I'm in.  Now, I'm out."  It's hard to discipline an impetuous child when you are trying not to laugh.  There's a good chance we are all going to need serious counseling before she's eighteen.     

All afternoon I was calling her Carter Oleava when she was making questionable choices.  Apparently, the girls don't grasp the whole middle name thing yet because by evening, they were calling each other  "Oleavas" when they where upset.  We will have to work on that.  

Things continued to spiral at bedtime, and we ended the day with her trying to eat a piece of paper before I could take it away from her.  I should have let her eat it, but it was too glossy and there was too much dye on it for me to feel comfortable.  

The bright side is, come bedtime, Emerson, Carter and Carterror fall asleep the moment their heads hit the pillow, even if that pillow is covered in shreds of chewed up paper.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tough Love

 We were on our way home from a birthday party not long ago, and Fischer began complaining from the backseat that one of the kids had tripped him and laughed about it.   Ross looked at him in the rearview mirror and responded, "Life's hard, Buddy.  You're going to have to toughen up."  To which his brother responded, "Yeah.  You have no idea.  Just wait until you're eight."  At that, they both sat back in their booster seats and contemplated their life situation for the remainder of the drive home.    Evidently, life is smooth sailing in those early single digits, but once you reach the ripe old age of, "I can mostly tie my own shoes and reach the kitchen faucet," it's all hard knocks and rough living.   I know this must be true because Sawyer also told his aunt the other day, "It's time to get on it and get myself a car.  I'm going to get a Cord Tacoma."  I think what he wanted to say, but didn't have the words  was,

All I Want For Christmas...

  Christmas time is such a fun season.  I love focusing on the birth of Jesus with the kids and recognizing the true reason for celebrating.  I also relish the magical part of the season that gives so much life to our kids' imaginations and innocents.  They are always precious, but I feel it even more so this time of year.   Even our oldest hasn't completely given up on Santa, although he has a lot more questions having been around classmates and friends who coolly deny the existence of Santa or Christmas magic.  We know it can't last forever, but I'm going to milk it for at least one more season.  He is still more or less on board.  I think he wants it to be real, so he doesn't dig too deep.  Consequently, he and his siblings were all excited for a trip to meet Santa and Mrs. Claus last weekend.  I was excited too.  I love their reactions, and last year Carter was too sick to go, so this was her first opportunity to meet Santa face to face.   The trip didn't di

Christmas Miracle

 For better or worse, I don't have a lot of pride.  I used to have some, but after the third and fourth child, what little I had vanished.  I'd like to be put together.  I would like my kids to be put together.  I have come to terms with the fact that, 99% of the time, that's not going to happen.  When we leave the house, I consider it a win if everybody has on an appropriate amount of clothing and two shoes that match.   The first time we visited the orthodontist in preparation for Sawyer's braces, I showed up with four kids in dirty play clothes and one child with mismatched shoes.  It just so happens that the orthodontist's wife is the mom of some of my former students, and she was working that day.  Luckily, I also hadn't brushed anyone's hair before we left the house, so we made quite an impression.  I've been trying to raise the bar ever since, but I seem to keep failing.  The next appointment we came straight from the barn and smelled like it, but