Skip to main content

Masquerade

Covid 19 doesn't scare me.  I don't like it.  I wish it hadn't happened, and I wish it would go away.  But it doesn't scare me.  It's not because I don't believe it's real or because I don't believe it can have serious consequences for a percentage of those who are infected.  It's simply that even though it's out of control, I know who is in control.  God isn't surprised by any of this.  He tells us not to worry or be fearful.  I kind of figure He knows best, so okay. 

Just like with anything that can harm us, we try to make good choices and take proper precautions.  I have always been a bit of a manic handwasher.  Ross, maybe not so much.  The kids are getting better.  We aren't attending nightclubs or you know, licking stuff that's been handled by other people...I speak for myself.  We are really working hard on this with the boys.  I don't think Fischer has chewed on his shoes all of this month.  Progress!

In general, I have been avoiding taking the kids places.  Partly because it's a lot of work with two babies and partly because I don't want to stress other people out.  We are a lot of bodies.  I also worried about how the boys would handle the new mask rule and seriously didn't want to subject them to that.  I wasn't sure if it would cause them some kind of angst or unnecessary fear.  But we had check-ups with the pediatrician looming and dentist appointments, so my friend sent us some masks...from Colorado.  We hadn't bought any before the mandate went into effect, and I wasn't sure if I'd be allowed into stores without a mask.....to buy masks.   

My concern for the boys was totally unfounded.  They were pumped to get their own kid-sized masks.  They begged to wear them around the house.  They sat in the living room together playing with their trucks and matchbox cars while wearing masks.  So A+ for the boys being willing and able to wear a face mask.  As far as their effectiveness goes...that's a solid F-.  Unless, they stop licking them sometime soon, I'm going to say the masks are for play.  Soggy wet masks do not scream sanitary, risk reducing, protective wear.  So gross.

I suppose I could use the same tactic I did with their lifejackets, "If you so much as look at the water without this on....!" But it's taken two-years to reverse the effects of that one.  (Their swim instructors have earned every penny.)  If my past mistakes are any indication, fear tactics are not the way to go.  I'm not going to get into a debate with anyone over the cost/benefit of mask wearing.  We all stand on different ground on this one.  I'm okay with that.  I just can't handle the soppy wet masks in my living room.  Boys are gross.  The end.

(But I love their guts.  But they are gross.)

Also, no more Covid anything anything from this blog.  I promise.  Probably.

Comments

  1. You are a blessing! Love to read your adventures. And your subtle and not so subtle ways of getting your point across. These are treasures to be able to read later on when they are teenagers! You should print them out and start your book now! You know like in your spare time 😂

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tough Love

 We were on our way home from a birthday party not long ago, and Fischer began complaining from the backseat that one of the kids had tripped him and laughed about it.   Ross looked at him in the rearview mirror and responded, "Life's hard, Buddy.  You're going to have to toughen up."  To which his brother responded, "Yeah.  You have no idea.  Just wait until you're eight."  At that, they both sat back in their booster seats and contemplated their life situation for the remainder of the drive home.    Evidently, life is smooth sailing in those early single digits, but once you reach the ripe old age of, "I can mostly tie my own shoes and reach the kitchen faucet," it's all hard knocks and rough living.   I know this must be true because Sawyer also told his aunt the other day, "It's time to get on it and get myself a car.  I'm going to get a Cord Tacoma."  I think what he wanted to say, but didn't have the words  was,

All I Want For Christmas...

  Christmas time is such a fun season.  I love focusing on the birth of Jesus with the kids and recognizing the true reason for celebrating.  I also relish the magical part of the season that gives so much life to our kids' imaginations and innocents.  They are always precious, but I feel it even more so this time of year.   Even our oldest hasn't completely given up on Santa, although he has a lot more questions having been around classmates and friends who coolly deny the existence of Santa or Christmas magic.  We know it can't last forever, but I'm going to milk it for at least one more season.  He is still more or less on board.  I think he wants it to be real, so he doesn't dig too deep.  Consequently, he and his siblings were all excited for a trip to meet Santa and Mrs. Claus last weekend.  I was excited too.  I love their reactions, and last year Carter was too sick to go, so this was her first opportunity to meet Santa face to face.   The trip didn't di

Christmas Miracle

 For better or worse, I don't have a lot of pride.  I used to have some, but after the third and fourth child, what little I had vanished.  I'd like to be put together.  I would like my kids to be put together.  I have come to terms with the fact that, 99% of the time, that's not going to happen.  When we leave the house, I consider it a win if everybody has on an appropriate amount of clothing and two shoes that match.   The first time we visited the orthodontist in preparation for Sawyer's braces, I showed up with four kids in dirty play clothes and one child with mismatched shoes.  It just so happens that the orthodontist's wife is the mom of some of my former students, and she was working that day.  Luckily, I also hadn't brushed anyone's hair before we left the house, so we made quite an impression.  I've been trying to raise the bar ever since, but I seem to keep failing.  The next appointment we came straight from the barn and smelled like it, but