Skip to main content

What They Will Be

I like asking kids what they want to be when they grow up.  Their answers range from fairly predictable to surprising and entertaining.  Our kids are no exception.  For a long time Sawyer has wanted to be a logger (fitting considering his name).  That still tops his list, but he says he's also considering being a cowboy with a rope (lasso).  Fischer wanted to be a doctor for awhile, but lately that has changed to a logger, and when he's done with that, a ballerina.  I think a ukulele player may also be in the mix.  We call that "well rounded."  What they will NOT be is stand-up comedians.

I like to listen to the boys' conversations when they don't know I'm there.  I did this the other night after they had gone to bed.  I was about to go in their room to quiet them down, but I caught wind of their conversation and stopped myself.  They were taking turns telling knock, knock jokes.  And they were terrible!  It went something like this:

Sawyer: Knock, knock.
Fish: Whose there?
Sawyer: Boo
Fish:  Boo who?
Sawyer:..........................okay, now you go.

Then Fish took a stab at it.

Fish: Knock, knock, whose there?
Sawyer: No I say whose there.
Fish: Knock, knock, whose there....I mean knock knock.
Sawyer: Whose there?
Fish: Eye blood
Sawyer: Eye blood who?
Fish:........Eye blood gut face!
Followed by him laughing at his own creativity. 

And then here was my personal favorite:

Fish: Knock, knock, whose there, knock knock.
Sawyer: Whose there?
Fish:...Table.
Sawyer: Table who?
Fish:...Table...poop!
At this point hysterical laughter from both boys ensued. 

Clearly we need to loosen up on what we allow them to say and what we deem bathroom talk.  Or maybe not.  If they find humor in saying such a "rebelious word" maybe we are buying ourselves some time.  Before long, they will discover that "poop" isn't the four letter word we are really concerned about them using. 

If anybody wants to train them up on comedic timing and you know, actual jokes that make sense...please don't.  I think I like their style just the way it is. 

If they have to grow up to be something, let them be young and innocent now. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tough Love

 We were on our way home from a birthday party not long ago, and Fischer began complaining from the backseat that one of the kids had tripped him and laughed about it.   Ross looked at him in the rearview mirror and responded, "Life's hard, Buddy.  You're going to have to toughen up."  To which his brother responded, "Yeah.  You have no idea.  Just wait until you're eight."  At that, they both sat back in their booster seats and contemplated their life situation for the remainder of the drive home.    Evidently, life is smooth sailing in those early single digits, but once you reach the ripe old age of, "I can mostly tie my own shoes and reach the kitchen faucet," it's all hard knocks and rough living.   I know this must be true because Sawyer also told his aunt the other day, "It's time to get on it and get myself a car.  I'm going to get a Cord Tacoma."  I think what he wanted to say, but didn't have the words  was,

All I Want For Christmas...

  Christmas time is such a fun season.  I love focusing on the birth of Jesus with the kids and recognizing the true reason for celebrating.  I also relish the magical part of the season that gives so much life to our kids' imaginations and innocents.  They are always precious, but I feel it even more so this time of year.   Even our oldest hasn't completely given up on Santa, although he has a lot more questions having been around classmates and friends who coolly deny the existence of Santa or Christmas magic.  We know it can't last forever, but I'm going to milk it for at least one more season.  He is still more or less on board.  I think he wants it to be real, so he doesn't dig too deep.  Consequently, he and his siblings were all excited for a trip to meet Santa and Mrs. Claus last weekend.  I was excited too.  I love their reactions, and last year Carter was too sick to go, so this was her first opportunity to meet Santa face to face.   The trip didn't di

Christmas Miracle

 For better or worse, I don't have a lot of pride.  I used to have some, but after the third and fourth child, what little I had vanished.  I'd like to be put together.  I would like my kids to be put together.  I have come to terms with the fact that, 99% of the time, that's not going to happen.  When we leave the house, I consider it a win if everybody has on an appropriate amount of clothing and two shoes that match.   The first time we visited the orthodontist in preparation for Sawyer's braces, I showed up with four kids in dirty play clothes and one child with mismatched shoes.  It just so happens that the orthodontist's wife is the mom of some of my former students, and she was working that day.  Luckily, I also hadn't brushed anyone's hair before we left the house, so we made quite an impression.  I've been trying to raise the bar ever since, but I seem to keep failing.  The next appointment we came straight from the barn and smelled like it, but