Skip to main content

Icky Sticky Boys

 I used an entire magic eraser and entirely too many minutes scrubbing pitch off our sliding glass door handle this evening.  Just the handle.  It worked, so chalk that up to another "win" for Mr. Clean, but I am considering charging my time and the cost of the eraser to our boys' account.  I can't with those two...I don't even know where to begin.    

Sawyer came in the house while I was cleaning the kitchen before starting dinner prep.  I mostly ignored him when he said he put pitch on his hand.  I gave him a, "Well, that wasn't very smart," and that was about it.  I didn't look up.  I didn't stop my sweeping of breakfast, lunch, and craft debris from under the table.  He left for the bathroom.

A short time later, he returned to the kitchen and asked for coconut oil.  If you didn't love it all ready, coconut oil is a champ at removing pitch and Sawyer has proven this theory.  Because he already knew the consequences of touching pitch and because he said he, "put it on myself,"  I still wasn't giving him any attention.  I was on a cleaning mission and didn't want to be interrupted.  I told him I'd get him the coconut oil on my time and he could wait until I was done with the dishes.  Then I looked up.  Finally.  

I can't adequately describe the mess that was my son.  Imagine a kid wearing mittens.  Then imagine those mittens were made from pitch.  Then imagine the kid's little brother walked into the house at that moment wearing the same mittens!  

"Sawyer told me to," were Fischer's only words.  I hadn't even asked a question.  

"Why?!!?!" 

"Because I like how it smells," was Sawyer’s matter-of-fact response.  "I wanted to make our hands smell good."

I was without words.  I pulled my not inexpensive, organic coconut oil out of the cupboard.  Looked at it.  Looked at their hands.  And still no words.  Then Ross, having heard the conversation, walked in.  He had some words.  

"That was just a really, really dumb thing to do."   

The boys looked at their feet in silence.

"You are not using expensive coconut oil on this."  

Instead, Ross scraped the first layer off their hands. Then he rubbed off what more he could with a dab of gasoline on a rag (which, in our current reality, was probably equally as expensive as the oil) .  Finally, he had the boys scrub with soap and warm water.  

"They're better but still sticky.  We'll leave it at that and it will be a good lesson for them over the next couple of days," Ross told me.  

Sawyer slunk into the kitchen shortly after, "Can our hands blow up from the gasoline?"  he whispered holding back fearful tears.

"What? No!"  I told him.

Sawyer left still looking worried, and a minute later Fischer walked in. "Can we really not use our hands to eat for three weeks because of the gasoline?"

"What?!"

"That's what Sawyer said."

"You can eat," I said, stifling my laugh.  

I relayed the conversation to Ross.  They must really think we are terrible people.  Obviously, we then had to play the role.

"Hey Sawyer, your hands can't blow up, but I wouldn't hold them around fire or hot stuff for at least a few days," his dad told him.

"Yeah, like a toaster," I chimed in.

His eyes got wide, "Can they really?  Mom said they couldn't."  

"Well, okay, but if I were you..."

We had him going for a minute, but it finally dawned on him that his parents are the worst, and we were jerking his chain.  He relaxed...until he realized his fingers were covered in fuzz and hair and he couldn't pick any of it off because they were all equally sticky.  

And that my friends is karma.  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tough Love

 We were on our way home from a birthday party not long ago, and Fischer began complaining from the backseat that one of the kids had tripped him and laughed about it.   Ross looked at him in the rearview mirror and responded, "Life's hard, Buddy.  You're going to have to toughen up."  To which his brother responded, "Yeah.  You have no idea.  Just wait until you're eight."  At that, they both sat back in their booster seats and contemplated their life situation for the remainder of the drive home.    Evidently, life is smooth sailing in those early single digits, but once you reach the ripe old age of, "I can mostly tie my own shoes and reach the kitchen faucet," it's all hard knocks and rough living.   I know this must be true because Sawyer also told his aunt the other day, "It's time to get on it and get myself a car.  I'm going to get a Cord Tacoma."  I think what he wanted to say, but didn't have the words  was,

All I Want For Christmas...

  Christmas time is such a fun season.  I love focusing on the birth of Jesus with the kids and recognizing the true reason for celebrating.  I also relish the magical part of the season that gives so much life to our kids' imaginations and innocents.  They are always precious, but I feel it even more so this time of year.   Even our oldest hasn't completely given up on Santa, although he has a lot more questions having been around classmates and friends who coolly deny the existence of Santa or Christmas magic.  We know it can't last forever, but I'm going to milk it for at least one more season.  He is still more or less on board.  I think he wants it to be real, so he doesn't dig too deep.  Consequently, he and his siblings were all excited for a trip to meet Santa and Mrs. Claus last weekend.  I was excited too.  I love their reactions, and last year Carter was too sick to go, so this was her first opportunity to meet Santa face to face.   The trip didn't di

Christmas Miracle

 For better or worse, I don't have a lot of pride.  I used to have some, but after the third and fourth child, what little I had vanished.  I'd like to be put together.  I would like my kids to be put together.  I have come to terms with the fact that, 99% of the time, that's not going to happen.  When we leave the house, I consider it a win if everybody has on an appropriate amount of clothing and two shoes that match.   The first time we visited the orthodontist in preparation for Sawyer's braces, I showed up with four kids in dirty play clothes and one child with mismatched shoes.  It just so happens that the orthodontist's wife is the mom of some of my former students, and she was working that day.  Luckily, I also hadn't brushed anyone's hair before we left the house, so we made quite an impression.  I've been trying to raise the bar ever since, but I seem to keep failing.  The next appointment we came straight from the barn and smelled like it, but