Skip to main content

Name Game


 Some friends of ours recently added a new puppy to their family.  We met him the day after they brought him home, and I asked what they named him.  "I think we are going to call him Sam," my friend responded.  She said her daughter had always wanted a boy dog named Sam.  Hearing that reminded me of when I was a kid and wanted so badly for my name to be Samantha so I could go by Sam because it was such a good tomboy name, and that resonated with me.  As an adult, I now see the irony in wanting to change my name from Bobbi to Sam so I could sound more like a tomboy.  

Bob.

I wonder if Sawyer will feel the same irony when he looks back on wanting to be named Beaver because he cuts trees and stuff like a beaver, when his actual name literally means "one who saws." 

We weren't as spot on with Fischer who wanted the name "Red-hot Fire King of Wheelies."  That one was a bit of a mouthful and luckily, didn't stick around for long.  He does like to fish but I've been wondering recently if Hunter might have been more appropriate for him.   

He loves to hunt.  Recently he lost some BB gun privileges because his accuracy needed work.  He immediately started putting in extra time on target practice.  His work payed off. This week he shot and killed his first dove.  With the confidence of a seven-year-old professional hunter, he cleaned his bird, breasted it, built himself a fire in his homemade firepit and cooked it.  He and his siblings all gave it a taste test.  Everybody swallowed it, but the boys determined it was overcooked and over salted.  Emerson, who would lick a salt block given the chance, gave it a big thumbs up.  Fischer generously saved the last chunk for his dad to try when he got off work.  I wasn't offered any and didn't ask.  

Ross was a good sport when he got home.  He gave Fischer lots of praise for his work, graciously popped the blackened lump of breast meat into his mouth, and bit into a BB.  No good deed goes unpunished.  He agreed with the boys that the salt level needed to be dialed back several notches and discussed the importance of removing any shrapnel prior to cooking.  

Overall, it was a successful learning experience.  If the ship ever goes down, these boys now know how to cut fire wood, harvest meat, and build a fire to cook it on, not a bad skill set to have.

...And you can call me Sam. 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tough Love

 We were on our way home from a birthday party not long ago, and Fischer began complaining from the backseat that one of the kids had tripped him and laughed about it.   Ross looked at him in the rearview mirror and responded, "Life's hard, Buddy.  You're going to have to toughen up."  To which his brother responded, "Yeah.  You have no idea.  Just wait until you're eight."  At that, they both sat back in their booster seats and contemplated their life situation for the remainder of the drive home.    Evidently, life is smooth sailing in those early single digits, but once you reach the ripe old age of, "I can mostly tie my own shoes and reach the kitchen faucet," it's all hard knocks and rough living.   I know this must be true because Sawyer also told his aunt the other day, "It's time to get on it and get myself a car.  I'm going to get a Cord Tacoma."  I think what he wanted to say, but didn't have the words  was,

All I Want For Christmas...

  Christmas time is such a fun season.  I love focusing on the birth of Jesus with the kids and recognizing the true reason for celebrating.  I also relish the magical part of the season that gives so much life to our kids' imaginations and innocents.  They are always precious, but I feel it even more so this time of year.   Even our oldest hasn't completely given up on Santa, although he has a lot more questions having been around classmates and friends who coolly deny the existence of Santa or Christmas magic.  We know it can't last forever, but I'm going to milk it for at least one more season.  He is still more or less on board.  I think he wants it to be real, so he doesn't dig too deep.  Consequently, he and his siblings were all excited for a trip to meet Santa and Mrs. Claus last weekend.  I was excited too.  I love their reactions, and last year Carter was too sick to go, so this was her first opportunity to meet Santa face to face.   The trip didn't di

Christmas Miracle

 For better or worse, I don't have a lot of pride.  I used to have some, but after the third and fourth child, what little I had vanished.  I'd like to be put together.  I would like my kids to be put together.  I have come to terms with the fact that, 99% of the time, that's not going to happen.  When we leave the house, I consider it a win if everybody has on an appropriate amount of clothing and two shoes that match.   The first time we visited the orthodontist in preparation for Sawyer's braces, I showed up with four kids in dirty play clothes and one child with mismatched shoes.  It just so happens that the orthodontist's wife is the mom of some of my former students, and she was working that day.  Luckily, I also hadn't brushed anyone's hair before we left the house, so we made quite an impression.  I've been trying to raise the bar ever since, but I seem to keep failing.  The next appointment we came straight from the barn and smelled like it, but