Skip to main content

Nature or Nurture?


 All of our kids are so different from one another.  Sometimes it takes me by surprise.  They've all been raised in a pretty similar environment, but each one has a very unique personality.  

Sawyer had an early command on language.  Fischer just squeaked until he was almost three.  

Fischer notices things.  He is very attuned to details.  Carter can't find her favorite sweater even when she's standing on it.  

Carter had an early grasp on humor and knew she was being funny before most of our kids understood what a joke was.  

Emerson is a nurturer and when she's on her own, she is probably the most responsible of all four kids.  

They each have their own strengths and weaknesses, and it's interesting to see how those play out as they get older. 

Recently, somebody asked me if we were going to put the girls in preschool.  My knee jerk response was, "no."  We didn't do preschool with the boys, but let them lead the way on what they were interested in learning.  We provided opportunities, but didn't push it.  I preferred to have them at home with me, and it worked for us.  But the girls are different, so I gave the question some actual thought, and my response was, "Heck, no!"  I just couldn't do that to their potential teacher or classmates.  

If we put them in preschool, Carter would likely cut off some little girl's ponytail.  Emerson would quietly glue all the books shut.  Together, they might find a way to get on the school roof or encourage other kids to jump off the top of the playground structure.  No.  We will not be sending them to preschool, unless it's run by a juvenile detention center.  

Lately, we send them outside to play and they come back looking like this:


We aren't neglecting them or ignoring them, but occasionally, we do have to run to the bathroom.  That's all the time they need...  

Last week they snuck a glue stick into their room at naptime.  You want to know what I found when they woke up?  Sticky, brown cheeks, legs and arms because purple glue and grey wool blankets make brown.  The boys never did that.  

Our kids are all very different from each other, but with their powers combined, the girls are a whole other level.  Preschool is not for them, and we are already praying they don't get kicked out of kindergarten.  Wish us luck.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tough Love

 We were on our way home from a birthday party not long ago, and Fischer began complaining from the backseat that one of the kids had tripped him and laughed about it.   Ross looked at him in the rearview mirror and responded, "Life's hard, Buddy.  You're going to have to toughen up."  To which his brother responded, "Yeah.  You have no idea.  Just wait until you're eight."  At that, they both sat back in their booster seats and contemplated their life situation for the remainder of the drive home.    Evidently, life is smooth sailing in those early single digits, but once you reach the ripe old age of, "I can mostly tie my own shoes and reach the kitchen faucet," it's all hard knocks and rough living.   I know this must be true because Sawyer also told his aunt the other day, "It's time to get on it and get myself a car.  I'm going to get a Cord Tacoma."  I think what he wanted to say, but didn't have the words  was,

All I Want For Christmas...

  Christmas time is such a fun season.  I love focusing on the birth of Jesus with the kids and recognizing the true reason for celebrating.  I also relish the magical part of the season that gives so much life to our kids' imaginations and innocents.  They are always precious, but I feel it even more so this time of year.   Even our oldest hasn't completely given up on Santa, although he has a lot more questions having been around classmates and friends who coolly deny the existence of Santa or Christmas magic.  We know it can't last forever, but I'm going to milk it for at least one more season.  He is still more or less on board.  I think he wants it to be real, so he doesn't dig too deep.  Consequently, he and his siblings were all excited for a trip to meet Santa and Mrs. Claus last weekend.  I was excited too.  I love their reactions, and last year Carter was too sick to go, so this was her first opportunity to meet Santa face to face.   The trip didn't di

Christmas Miracle

 For better or worse, I don't have a lot of pride.  I used to have some, but after the third and fourth child, what little I had vanished.  I'd like to be put together.  I would like my kids to be put together.  I have come to terms with the fact that, 99% of the time, that's not going to happen.  When we leave the house, I consider it a win if everybody has on an appropriate amount of clothing and two shoes that match.   The first time we visited the orthodontist in preparation for Sawyer's braces, I showed up with four kids in dirty play clothes and one child with mismatched shoes.  It just so happens that the orthodontist's wife is the mom of some of my former students, and she was working that day.  Luckily, I also hadn't brushed anyone's hair before we left the house, so we made quite an impression.  I've been trying to raise the bar ever since, but I seem to keep failing.  The next appointment we came straight from the barn and smelled like it, but